This past week has been quite busy. I received three assignments on the same day and all of them were due in one or two weeks. Luckily, I had nothing better to do.
Divided Hearts by Terry O’Reilly is a sequel to Awakening recently published by Aspen Mountain Press. Therefore, I wanted to give Divided Hearts a similar design as the cover I did for Awakening. I was able to use the same colors, textures, and font which really connected the designs. Even better, I found stock photos that fit in a similar layout as the first book. All this combined to create a recognizable connection between the two books. Even though this design was fairly simple it took me about 4 hours to complete the full res design.
Artifact by Melody Knight is one of my favorite designs so far. Part of the story takes place in New Zealand where the couple has some fun in a geothermal pool. I found the photo of the couple kissing and thought it would be great for a muted background. Merged with the image of the hot spring surrounded by trees it creates depth and adds to the sexy feel.
For the foreground, I chose the image of the nude female back. I smoothed the skin using a smudge technique I recently learned and adjusted the shadows and highlights with the burn/dodge tool. I also added some extra strands of hair to give it a wilder, realistic look. For the title, I added an outer glow in a soft green tone. Needless to say, this took a lot of time and was a lot of work but I really like how it turned out.
Another favorite design of mine is for Ominous Night by Tania Walsh, soon to be published by Mystic Moon Press. This short story is about a woman who hunts mutants. The author gave me some great descriptions of the setting and character and I did my best to create them. The background is an old building (supposed to be a dingy pub) surrounded by a wrought iron fence. I found the gate image, cleaned it up, darkened it a bit, and placed it in front of the building.
In the original foreground image, the woman had blonde hair and a pink t-shirt. I used the soft light function to change her hair color. Then I selected the pink shirt using the magnetic lasso tool. First, I desaturated the selection then I adjusted the hue/saturation with the colorize box selected. Using the burn/dodge tool I adjusted the highlights and shadows before rendering an light source.
I am extremely pleased with how this design turned out. I hope the author loves it as much as I do.